6.04.2011

The Interieor

Domino doing it right

Since the demise of Domino Magazine I have been mourning the loss of an accessible, unstuffy, but modern, tasteful and interesting design magazine. Domino showcased a world of interior design that was young, cool, occasionally humorous, livable and somewhat affordable. It was not the designer-dominated world of the classic six and the country house, but instead a world where designers lived, where regular people of discerning taste attempted to make their homes a conscious expression of their own creativity. Not to say there weren't plenty of Richies profiled in the pages of Domino, people who wrote some big checks to some Important designers. Domino was unlike the overstuffed, chinoiserie, miles of drapery and tasseled ottomans of the living spaces in Elle Decor or the sharp lines and overly architecturalized (yeah that's my word, disseminate at will) interiors of Interior Design Magazine, which do little to show the true use of the spaces. That is to say, those other publications seem to put the house before the home. And maybe the colorful, vintage-inspired, mixed era approach of Domino is closer to my own fashion aesthetic. I like a visit to the country club as much as the next WASP, but I don't want to live there.

So what is a design-oriented girl to do when she is disappointed by the market's available media outlets? Why, turn to the interwebs, of course! Back when I had cable TV and sliced bread and brand name conditioner, or maybe it was just during a work-out at the Y, I came across a final episode of Design Star. I immediately loved the cutie blond with the great clothes and great taste, but, like all great things one discovers while flicking, I never came across it again. Many moons later I discovered that said blond, one Emily Henderson, won the reality show and ended up with her own show, Secrets From a Stylist. Through my now complete devotion to Ms. Henderson and her show, available here, I have found a new replacement for Domino. Or at least a handy online stopgap.

(a photo of e. henderson, see when I say cute I mean it)


Rue Magazine is full of mod influences, vintage collections a'la Joseph Cornell, juxtoposing eras, and a good dose of whimsy. The magazine is run by a bevy of incredibly stylish ladies, and, as always, I like me's a girl-driven venture. It can occasionally get a bit too shiny and polished for my taste, but that is interior design, they aren't going to photograph the house with cat hair on the drapes and stacks of folded laundry on the back of the couch. Maybe some day I'll start that magazine. I'll call it Real Life.

Rue's debut issue from this past fall has an article by Ms. Henderson on entertaining, or I should say playing host while an online magazine throws a party in her house. If you need more then Rue to satisfy your vicarious shopping needs there is also Lonny, also online, started by the former editor of Domino. This one doesn't feel quite as fresh as Rue, but maybe that is because it is too close to Domino and Lucky in its layout.

Now while I've been obsessing over all things design I've had a chance to put some of that energy into my own living room. We are shopping for a new couch because our totally awesome vintage, rolled arm number is "impossible to sit on" says PBT. I'm sad to part ways with it after finding it in Allston, Mass. for $100 and having it for the last ten years (it will merit its postmortem blog post, don't worry). We've also acquired a new chair (the orange dream below) which unfortunately has to be recovered due to a persistent oder that was starting to give me headaches and make me irrationally angry.  So I've included below my inspiration board for our interior, the peaceful, verdant landscape at the heart of our little country (cats implied).

No comments:

Post a Comment